Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week Sixteen – Moment Of Weakness

After the week I had last week and celebrating my birthday this week I was a little scared to get on the scale but I am happy to report I lost a few more pounds. I can’t believe I have lost 46 pounds in only 16 weeks. Talk about a sweet sixteen!

Although I am celebrating now, this past week wasn’t filled with celebrations. For the past few days I’ve been fighting off a cold and have just really felt drained. There were a couple days I just didn’t want to exercise and unfortunately took comfort in some foods I shouldn’t have. Hey we all have our weaknesses...

My week started off on my birthday. This was the first day I wasn’t feeling great and rationalized my lethargic mindset as having to do with not working out so I ended up going for a five-mile walk/jog. I really walked three miles and jogged two. Although in my mind I am running, I don’t want to offend actual runners by calling my speed level a run.

Although I wasn’t feeling great I decided I would still workout with Justin on Saturday morning. In retrospect, working out for two hours wasn’t probably the best idea. Towards the end of Justin’s workout my body just shut down on me (literally). Not only was I having to be aided by Justin just to finish all three sets, when we were doing triceps dips my arms just gave out on me and I ended up falling to the floor. At that point I wanted to just throw in the towel and go home but I didn’t. I finished the workout and even somehow managed to pull it together for an hour of Zumba.

I ended up missing Zumba Monday night in hopes of recuperating my ailing body and thankfully it worked. By Tuesday evening I was back on track. Actually, I was on a new track…

I’ve wanted to go to Hermann Park to exercise for some time but for some reason I always end up going to Memorial Park instead, that is until this past Tuesday. Although there wasn’t a lot of eye candy like Memorial Park (read: women) it was fun having new scenery to look at. At first I ran by the San Jacinto Reflection Pool and then around the Miller Outdoor Theatre and back around by the paddleboats and lake. That must have been the one-mile course because before I knew it I was back at my car. Not fulfilled, I set out on another trail. This time I went north along Fannin into the Medical Center. I turned by Memorial Hermann Hospital and went down past Ben Taub Hospital.
All of a sudden I realized I was by the zoo when I heard the roar of an elephant. It was pretty cool to peek through the fence and watch him get a bath. Losing daylight I stepped up the pace and ran around the Hermann Golf Course and The Museum Of Natural Science.

Even though I was running at what I thought was a pretty good speed, I was still getting passed, which I was ok with cause I was passing people too, the walkers! And at that moment it hit me - I need to stop trying to keep up with people and just stick with my own pace. Not just on the track but in the gym too. Just like the more experienced runners, I need to stop trying to keep up with Denise. And who knows, I might pass Denise up down the road too...

Having such a great workout Tuesday night encouraged me to really step up my game last night. Before Zumba I did 30 minutes on treadmill. (Note: don’t leave your water bottle on the treadmill when you are running). After Zumba I went home and ate and decided I would go down to my gym and work out a little bit more. I ended up spending an hour and half down there. Let me just say, thank God for Skelaxins!

10/02 5 mile walk/jog; 791 calories burned
10/04 Commit To Fit, One Hour; 1091 calories burned
10/04 Zumba class for an hour; 838 calories burned
10/07 5 mile walk/jog at Hermann; 791 calories burned
10/08 30 minutes on treadmill; 273 calories burned
10/08 Zumba class for an hour; 838 calories burned
10/09 30 minutes on the bike; 692 calories burned
10/09 30 minutes on the elliptical; 396 calories burned
10/09 30 minutes of weights; 363 calories burned

All in all I am really happy with my progress; not only for this past week but for the past sixteen weeks. For the first time I can see how your best strengths can come out during your worst moments of weakness. And even though it sucked at the time, I glad I'm dealing with my weaknesses cause I knoq I am already stronger because of it.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

After you lose the rest of your goal of 29lbs- do we get a before and after picture? I'll even take a half way pic! hehe

Great work Chris!!!