Thursday, July 24, 2008

Week Five – Back Talking

I lost another 5 pounds this week! Yep, that’s 26 pounds in 5 weeks for those of you keeping score…

Even though I am proud of how much I have lost this week and over the past five weeks, I know I could do better. Looking back, I think this fifth week has been the most challenging.

My week started off great. On Friday, I met some friends at Hermann Park and played a round of golf – well sort of, we stopped half way through the back nine. It’s been a long time since I’ve played and it showed! Although I wasn’t up to par (pun intended) I still had a great time. I even lost a bunch of calories too, 967 to be exact. Perhaps next time I play I will not rent a cart and just walk cause I found out I could have burned an additional 500 calories if I had done so. After all I am doing this Fore fitness (ok I’m done with those, promise!)

It seems I’m not the only one with reasons to celebrate recently. This past week I had my nephew’s birthday, my friend’s birthday, my brother’s birthday and a friend’s wedding. Let me just say, that’s a lot of cake to hold back from.

Although I did well eating wise, I ended up drinking two nights this week instead of my scheduled one. I know it’s easy to fall back into old habits so I really need to watch when and how much I drink, regardless if it’s a special occasion or not…

On Saturday I met some friends for lunch at their place to catch up and to check out their new pool. I told them all about my 28-week plan and they told me about a dietician they see who is really good at explaining nutrition. I’m not too proud to say, I am nutrition illiterate! For instance, I will skip dinner if I know I will be drinking that night or I’ve even skipped meals cause I figured the fewer calories I’m consuming, the better. I guess my mindset is I shouldn’t eat if I’m not hungry but apparently that is the wrong approach to have when it comes to dieting (go figure!) I’ve never been one to turn down assistance so I am scheduling an appointment and hopefully this sustenance-guru can get me straightened out and back to basics!

Speaking of back, I pulled something in my back Monday night during Justin’s abs class after Zumba. We were doing an exercise where we lay on our back with our legs in the air and we push our legs up so our butts come off the floor. I think the exercise is called “Heels to the Heaven”. All I know is I felt like I was in Hell while doing them and later that night I was praying for the pain to go away so I could sleep. I don’t know if I did the exercise wrong or perhaps I shouldn’t be doing back-to-back abs sessions or perhaps they should just rename that exercise the backbreaker – all I know is that exercise was the straw that broke the camel’s my back!

Since I didn’t get much sleep I ended up skipping my Tuesday morning Boot Camp. I couldn’t fathom running back and forth down the street or up and down the stairs when all I did was toss and turn in bed all night.

By Tuesday night my back and my spirit had bounced back and I made up for my missed Boot Camp class by doing an exercise video. Although it’s called the 4-mile super challenge, it’s definitely not as challenging as Boot Camp but I figured it was better than nothing.

I was back in the saddle by Wednesday night and finished Jerry’s Zumba and Justin’s abs classes without incident. I even made a point to go to bed early because I was nervous about Boot Camp this morning. Not that I was afraid Melissa would pay me back somehow for missing Tuesday (although I heard I don’t want to be late to class cause her paybacks are hell) I think I was just worried cause it had been a whole week since I last worked out like that. Well I wasn’t going to let fear hold me back so not only did I show up this morning, I was the first one there again…

I know I keep saying this, but I think this Boot Camp was harder than last time! Screw that old adage that ‘it gets easier over time’ – as far as Boot Camp, it keeps getting harder for me.

Since it was raining we didn’t have to run outside but after a few minutes of drills, I wished we were. Calisthenics are really hard for me – maybe it’s because I don’t have much upper body strength or maybe because we are doing exercises I haven’t done since seventh grade. Since Melissa knew I hurt my back Monday she was really watching me today. Several times she caught me with bad form and had me straighten up my back. One thing I like is that when I can’t do an exercise perfectly she modifies it somehow so that I can it in a way that is a little easier but still very beneficial.

Throughout class not only is Melissa really encouraging but we all try to support each other as well. It’s always nice to get a pat on the back, even if your back is sore! Here’s how I did this week:

07/17 Boot Camp for an hour; 1116 calories burned
07/18 Golfing for 2 hours; 967 calories burned
07/19 Zumba class for an hour; 838 calories burned
07/21 Zumba class for an hour; 838 calories burned
07/21 Core class with Justin for 15 minutes; 209 calories burned
07/22 4 Mile Super Challenge Video; 558 calories burned
07/23 Zumba class for an hour; 838 calories burned
07/23 Core class with Justin for 15 minutes; 209 calories burned

Everyone keeps encouraging to “stick with it” and I can honestly say I am trying my hardest to be as consistent as possible regardless of what obstacles (and sometimes objects) are thrown at me. Its kind of funny to think about but the more consistent I become the more changes I see - - and there’s no way I would ever turn back now!

No comments: