Thursday, June 19, 2008

Emancipation Day

Today is Juneteenth, which is not only a celebration of the abolition of slavery, better known as Emancipation Day; it is also my parent’s anniversary.

I looked up the word emancipation and when you dissect it, it really comes down to freedom. And when I think of freedom, words like choice, freewill and self-determination come to mind.

Well in the spirit of Emancipation Day, I am freeing myself from yo-yo diets and unrealistic weight loss goals.

Today I start my journey for a healthy lifestyle. I know that I will have setbacks and obstacles to overcome, but I will try my best to not look at them as problems, but choices because I have the willpower and self-determination to change.

So for now on, Juneteenth will be the day that I said goodbye to my Umpteenth diet attempt and hello to my first real plan.

No comments: